Thursday, August 5, 2010

Puppet Mania

Why haven't I been posting lately? Well, because I've gotten slightly addicted to making puppets. It started out innocently enough. I needed a puppet for a bible lesson. I made one and was instantly interested in making more. So, I immediately begin my google searches and found a few great patterns. It's a lot of fun and to build puppets much more productive than watching television, which I'd been doing too much of lately.

Anyway, here are my creations with the links for the patterns.



I got this cute puppy design from Danielle's Place. I took a look at the link that she listed for the canvas puppets at Oriental Trading. I studied the pic for awhile and then designed my own out of felt instead. Quick and easy.




I got this pattern from the Project Puppet blog. My son wanted me to use green felt and try to make Kermit. He set the bar way too high considering this was my first attempt at an open mouth puppet. So I tried to keep it simple and make it resemble the one in the article.


Super Simple Puppet Pattern


Another Danielle's Place inspiration. I was actually trying to make Larry the Lizard but I realized that the puppet could be a snake if I added a forked tongue. This was perfect since the upcoming letter of the week was "Ssssssssssssss." Sorry couldn't resist.



I purchased the pattern for this puppet from BiblePuppet.com. I am the Queen of free online patterns. But I really wanted to make a good sized moving mouth puppet but couldn't find a good free pattern. And I'm so glad that I spent the $9.95. This pattern challenged me the most. But I'm also inspired to modify the pattern and to keep improving my new craft.
I think that once I get better at the construction that I may move on to using foam instead of stuffing. However, I have yet to find foam at a low enough price for me. I know that hobbies can be money guzzlers. So I try my best to stick to making things that only need inexpensive supplies. So the foam idea is probably just wishful thinking for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment