Monday, October 3, 2011

Handmade Christmas - 2011

The year before last we had a "homemade" Christmas. I made almost all of the children's presents. Because of this, it wasn't a very lavish Christmas. I made the childen pajamas, fun dough, a doll or stuffed toy, and coloring books printed from the internet. And my  husband and I supplemented the gifts with necessities that we purchased (socks, undies).

Mind you, I didn't start until after December. But I was able to make about a dozen gifts in that short time frame. So that got me thinking, what could I accomplish in 3 months time? Maybe gifts that my children will find very special? Well, that is a question that I just cannot leave unanswered. That's just me. So, I started my handmade Christmas on Sept 24th and I will be working, almost daily, to finish by December 20th.


Use it Up
But there is a catch to all of this. I have been accumulating sewing and craft supplies since we moved into our house 3 years ago. Let's just say that I tend to shop more than I create. So, I am challenging myself to use only (well, almost) the materials that I already have in my closet sewing/crafting nook.

$$$
I don't anticipate that challenge being much of an issue. It will actually be a help. If you could see my various stashes then you would understand. And to keep myself accountable on track, I will share each project (with pics) once it's completed; and, I'll list any items and the prices that I purchased in the making of it. My goal is to keep the total under $15.

So Far...
I have already written down all of the gifts that I want to make and matched up materials in my stash. Whenever possible, I will work on multiple projects at once. For example, I can make all of the pajamas at once by working in stages - cutting out all of the pieces, and then sewing, and pressing in mass. That's how I was able to complete 4 pairs last year in a little under a week.

I also started on a project on the 24th of September that I plan on finishing up today.

Jesus is the Reason for the Season
I know that is true. I want my children to be thankful for God and for everything that they have. I don't want them to obsess over presents, ever. They are very sweet children and usually ask for very little. So, I think that it will be great for them to receive a some nice things that they weren't expecting.


Plus, I see this as an opportunity to use the talents that God has given me to benefit my family to the fullest. I told my husband awhile back, that has become more and more of a desire of mine. And with God's help, I will make it.

1 comment:

  1. These are GREAT ideas!!!! I have a LOT of craft stuff! The kids were able to make all of the gifts they gave last year with project supplies of gifts I was gonna make over the years! But, I never made their gifts (and they were actually quite upset bc I made everyone else's gifts!) and I think this made them jealous to see me spend so much time creating! Just goes to show how much "thought" really counts! In today's crazy, fast paced, selfish, I want more society I too hope to continue to instill contentment within their moldable lives!!!

    ReplyDelete