Thursday, August 5, 2010

Simply Shirring

Alternate title: Wish I had Some Elastic Thread

Previously, I mentioned the one hour 1920's dress pattern. Well, I don't have much desire to wear a dress of that style. But I believe the pattern along with the tutorial is a great first project for clothing.

Now, I am ALL about making a "modern" one hour dress. So I was so glad when I found this one hour dress tutorial. Too cute! I just bought some fabric from Fabric.com the other day that I think would look great as a shirred dress. Personally, I don't wear sleeveless anything. But the dress got me to thinking that I could crochet a shrug to cover my shoulders. Or I could sew up a simple two minute shrug from Sew Stylish. Sewing one will definitely take less time than crocheting.

Too bad I don't have any elastic thread on hand. Actually, I've never had a reason to have any until now. I have never tried shirring before. Once I do get my hands some of that thread (Hobby Lobby here I come.)

Here's an extremely helpful video on the subject. I like that measurements are used in this tutorial. I'm sure that using my measurements to tailor the dress will give it a better fit.



As January quickly slips away from me, I feel that I will probably have a better chance of completing the January sewing challenge if I go with this project instead. I still consider it a challenge because this will be my first time using the shirring technique.

More Shirring Tutorials

No comments:

Post a Comment