Monday, March 21, 2011

Making a Easter Pillowcase Dress

Resurrection Day isn't until April 24th this year. I feel like that gives me plenty of time to make an outfit for my daughter. But every time I think that way I wind up starting projects at the last possible moment. So, in an attempt to overcome procrastination I am going to start on the dress this week.

I want to make a dress that is simple, cute, and doesn't require a pattern. So a pillowcase dress seems perfect, especially since I already have a yard of some very "springish" fabric. The fabric has pink and purple in it. Which means, it will be an instant hit with GG no matter what style of dress I create. I have never made a girl's dress without a pattern so this seems like the way to go.

I found this very detailed tutorial for a pillowcase dress. I like that every step is broken down with good instructions and pics. The reason why I'm probably going to go with this tut is because it shows how to make the dress out of fabric instead of a pillowcase. GG is too tall ( baby girl is growing up on me) for that now.

However, I am not completely sold on the idea of the tutorial yet because it looks like most pillowcase dresses look a bit flimsy. I was going to figure out how to line it. But I found out that you can make reversible pillowcase dresses. So, I am strongly leaning toward doing that instead. For just a little more effort I can have two dresses instead of one. This looks like good directions to help me make a reversible dress. And here is a tutorial specifically for a reversible pillowcase dress, but it doesn't look quite as easy to follow as the other one.

And I'm also going to crochet a simple shrug so GG's shoulders will be covered in church.

No comments:

Post a Comment