Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cleanliness is Next to Craftiness

Seemingly, my dirty bathroom has nothing to do with my crafting.
But here’s the thing. Once my house reaches a certain point of messiness, I lose all desire to be creative. I feel like it’s wrong to crochet or sew when my bathroom is dirty or my laundry is piled up or or my sinks need to be scrubbed.

I can thank my mom for this. And I do sincerely thank her. She taught me to never do anything fun if my work isn't done first. That has probably helped me to keep a fairly clean house for most of my adult life. But sometimes life happens and the the messiness creeps in.

And the guilt is multiplied if the craft storage area in my closet is dirty. And it had been since my Christmas sewing began. As you can see from the pic, mess happens - especially in my closet.



Believe it or not, my closet doubles as the place where I store all of my craft supplies. Really, seriously!


Here is a view of where I keep my yarn. It's down there on the floor among the heaps of clothes and other items.

I had been living in this condition since the beginning of December. But then that desire to make something struck me. I wanted to make myself an earwarmer headband and sew some Barbie clothes for my daughter. But I couldn’t bare to pull out the sewing machine or a crochet hook until I fixed all of the wrongs in those rooms. It was wrong to make my ears suffer the cold or to deprive Barb of a new outfit just because I wouldn't get my act together.
So, I had no choice but to put some sparkle back in my bathroom.
Things were starting to look better.

So, I straightened out the shelf where I store my sewing supplies and I hung up all of my yards of fabric. Thanks to my Christmas sewing my stash is not much of a stash anymore.


I also put all of the fabric scraps in shoe boxes and arranged those on some shelves. I put all like things together - ribbons with ribbon, buttons with buttons, etc.

I cleared the floor so that I can actually see my yarn now, and my cookie cutters.

And there is my floor. I can actually walk in that space again!

Sewing machine and crochet hooks, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment