Friday, February 3, 2012

A Ten Minute Dolman Top: My Version


I recently lost some weight and now I am on a mission to make myself some new clothes. I want to make clothes that are cute, fast to make, and that don't require a pattern. From what I've gleamed so far from the internet, that appears to be mostly tops and skirts. I am posting all of my finds on Pinterest so that they are all in one convenient location for future reference. I really like that site! But that's for another post.



The first item that I made was a dolman top. I had seen a really cute one on Ross's website on sale for $12. The design looked like it couldn't be that complicated so I did a bit of searching and found Hungry Hippie's Poppy Top. Hello! The top fit all of my criteria. A 10 minute top with only 2 seams that required no hemming? How could I not make it?

I pulled out a yard of fabric that I'd gotten on clearance from Fabric.com. When I purchased it I didn't have a clue what I would do with it. But who can turn down a yard of jersey knit for only $1.95? OK, maybe you can. But buying fabric on sale is one of my favorite things. Anyway, I immediately got to work following Hungy Hippie's tutorial to the "t".

This was the result.

I kind of liked it but I wasn't wild about the neckline. It was just too big for my taste. I had traced the neckline of a stretchy shirt that I already owned, thinking that the size would come out just right. But for whatever reason that didn't work out like I thought it would. I almost gave up on the top, figuring it was only  about $2.00 and a little bit of time that I had just spent.

But then I remembered my friend shirring. I have used the technique a few times and it is beyond easy. So I added one row of shirring about 1/2 an inch from the neckline.

It took less than a minute to do but the shirring made a huge difference! I went from wanting to abandon the top to wanting to wear it as soon as possible.Which I did, since we had company over for  dinner that night.

1 comment:

  1. That is AWESOME!!!! Now I wanna get out the sewing machine!!! Soon!

    ReplyDelete